Some physicians find themselves in a situation of conflict and divided loyalty. They are
forced to choose between their fidelity obligations to their patients and obligations to their employer.
1. Issues of confidentiality and disclosure for doctors examining patients on behalf of
an insurance company or the patient’s employer.
a. Explain consent to disclosure in case of a medical report requested by a patient
b. Explain consent to disclosure in case of a medical report requested by an insurance
c. Explain the process of consent to disclosure in case of a medical report requested
by an employer
d. Explain the ethico-legal issues that arise if the patient wants some parts of
the report deleted or amended before it is sent off
2. Issues of confidentiality and disclosure about employees for doctors employed by a
a. Explain ethico-legal guidelines for carrying out genetic tests and disclosure
of information requested by the employer
b. Explain ethico-legal guidelines on exposure of family history requested by the
3. Reporting STD, hepatitis, and HIV in their patients.
a. Explain procedures to be followed in examining a patient for HIV at the request
of the insurance company
b. Summarize ethico-legal guidelines on answering lifestyle questions requested by
the employer or the insurance company
4. Issues relating to a doctor being an expert witness in a litigation.
- Which duty comes first: helping the patient or helping the court? Justify your view
- Explain guidelines for a doctor testifying as an expert witness on behalf of the